BIOL 1070: Introduction to Pharmacology (NEW)
Introduction to Pharmacology Course Overview
- BIOL 1070 is a three-credit introductory pharmacology course that introduces the basic concepts of pharmacology and drug usage for allied health professions. It introduces students to the fundamentals of pharmacology, examining the effects of drugs on the human body systems and the effects of those biological systems on drugs. It explores disorders associated with various body systems and the drugs used for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of those disorders. The course topics are presented through readings, instructor-led video lessons, and an assortment of interactive activities including discussion forums. Students will be assessed throughout the course with worksheets, quizzes, and case studies, as well as both a cumulative midterm and final exam.
*This course is considered an upper-level undergraduate course (300 level or above)
Introduction to Pharmacology Course Outcomes
- Review the fundamentals of pharmacology.
- Discuss the pharmacokinetic process
- Explore the effects of drugs on human anatomy and physiology
- Explain the pharmacological benefits and risks of drug therapy
- Identify commonly used drugs by trade names, generic names and primary classification
- Review basic concepts of drug dosing
Introduction to Pharmacology Course Prerequisites
- There are no prerequisites for BIOL 1070.
How do exams work?
All exams are taken online. Major exams are required to be proctored online through ProctorU. For instructions on how to take your exams online, visit UNE Online’s ProctorU site. Please note exams must also be proctored with the UNE-approved external webcam.
How do labs work?
BIOL 1070 is a lecture-only course. We do not offer an as the laboratory portion of the course.
Tuition & Fees
BIOL 1070: Lecture
- Credits: 3
- Tuition: $1,230
- Registration: $30
- Total: $1,260*
*Total payment is due in full at the time of registration. The cost of the materials is not included in this total.
Required course materials
- Mandatory External Webcam and Whiteboard for Proctored Exams
- Brenner, G. M., & Stevens, C. (2018). Brenner and Stevens Pharmacology (5th Ed). Pennsylvania: Elsevier.
- Stringer, J. L. (2011;2017;). Basic Concepts in Pharmacology: What You Need to Know for Each Drug Class (Fourth;5th; ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Lab Materials
- BIOL 1070 is a lecture-only course. We do not offer a lab component and therefore no lab materials are needing to be purchased.
As a Reminder
Complete at Your Own Pace within 16 weeks
24/7 Online Registration
Courses Typically Begin Every Two to Three Weeks
Working at the pace typical for a four-semester hour course, the average student will complete this online course in approximately 16 weeks. Many students have elected an online course for the sake of flexibility. Since the course is self-paced, you may be able to complete the course in less than 16 weeks.
You may enroll for a course at any time through our self-service registration portal. Payment is needed in full at the time of registration.
You must be registered for your class by 12:00 noon EST the Monday before the class starts. Your official start date is the date that the course opens and you will have 16 weeks from that date to complete your course.
Your Dedicated Student Service Advisor
If you have any questions about registration, the coursework or course requirements, please reach out to one of our student support team members using live chat(see bottom right) or email below.