Master of Social Work Admission Requirements

Traditional Track | Advanced Standing Track

Traditional Track

Program Requirements

  • Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent.
  • Successful completion of an undergraduate degree, typically defined by a 3.0 cumulative GPA or better. However, applications are reviewed holistically as a determination of academic readiness.
  • Computer with internet connection, including the hardware and software requirements described on the Technical Requirements page. Must also possess sufficient computer skills to navigate the internet as all classes are accessed 100% online

Application Process

Step 1

  • Create an account for the Online Application Portal, start a new application and fill out all required fields
    • You will be asked to compose professional statements in response to the following prompts in one to two paragraphs each:
      • Why are you interested in the field of social work? Please reflect on your areas of strengths and areas of development that relate to you becoming a professional social worker?
      • Please share two examples that you have observed in society where social inclusion was absent. What are your recommendations for how to address these issues?
      • Reflecting on the priorities in your daily life, how do you plan to manage your time and the demands of this program? Also, please discuss your comfort level with pursing an online graduate degree in regards to technology, time management, etc.
      • If your undergraduate GPA is lower than 3.0, please explain, any outstanding circumstances that led to your previous academic performance, and include any significant changes that have prepared you to be successful in our program.

Step 2

Upload all supporting documents:

  • Resume/CV: Must be current and include current professional roles and responsibilities as well as any volunteer, service learning, or community service experience
  • Two completedApplicant Recommendation Forms.
    • Please keep in mind that the admissions committee likes to see recommendation forms from references in a supervisor or leadership position.

Step 3

  • Request an official transcript reflecting conferral of bachelor’s degree.
Official transcripts must be submitted to UNE directly from the institution. Please contact your college or university as soon as possible and request that they send an official transcript via mail to the address below or by certified electronic delivery. We will notify you as soon as we receive your official transcript.

If your transcript is from an international institution, it will need to be translated and/or evaluated for U.S. grade and degree equivalency and sent to us directly from the evaluation company. Please contact an Enrollment Counselor for more information.

If sent electronically, request that your transcript be sent to:

If mailed, request that your transcript be addressed to:

University of New England
College of Graduate & Professional Studies
Attention: Social Work
716 Stevens Avenue
Portland, ME 04103

Please Note:
Additional transcripts may be required or requested. You can always submit additional transcripts if you feel they would strengthen your application.

Step 4

  • Pay non-refundable $40 application fee.

Our enrollment counselors are here to help you understand the admission requirements and to assist you throughout the entire application process. Please contact us right away at (877) 863-6791 or at if you have any questions about the program or application requirements.

Application Procedures and Policies

  • Expiration of Application Materials

    All application materials submitted to UNE are valid for 12 months from the date received by the University. To avoid needing to re-request transcripts and letters of recommendation, we recommend that you complete your application and enroll in a timely manner. In the event that you need to re-apply or re-activate your application, materials older than 12 months will need to be re-submitted without exception.

  • Non-Matriculated Enrollment

    Students not seeking a degree may enroll in individual courses as a non-matriculated student, space permitting and upon approval by the program manager. Non-matriculated students must hold a bachelor’s degree and submit an official transcript reflecting conferral of the degree. Students may not move from non-matriculated to matriculated status within the same term. Please contact an enrollment counselor to assist in this process.

  • International Admissions

    International Students

    More information explaining the admissions requirements for international students or applicants with international degrees can be found here on the International Admissions web page. If you have specific questions please contact an enrollment counselor for personal guidance through the application process.

Your Social Work Enrollment Counselors

Contact an enrollment counselor to discuss your degree plan or to ask questions about the online Master of Social Work program. 



If you have any questions about application requirements, the coursework or program requirements, please speak to one of our enrollment counselors at the email or phone number below.