Master of Science in Education Degrees Admission Requirements

This page includes the admissions requirements for the following MSEd degree offerings at UNE Online:

  1. Master of Science in Education
  2. Master of Science in Education – Educational Leadership
  3. Master of Science in Education – Special Education
  4. Master of Science in Education – Reading Specialist
  • Bachelor’s degree or above from a regionally accredited institution or its equivalent.
    • See International Admissions for details regarding evaluation of international degrees for grade and degree equivalency.
  • Applications are reviewed holistically as a determination of academic readiness. The admissions committee values previous academic performance as indicated on transcripts and considers it as part of the review process.
  • Computer with internet connection, including the hardware and software requirements described on the Technical Requirements page. Must also possess sufficient computer skills to navigate the internet as all classes are accessed 100% online.
  • The MSEd – Educational Leadership, MSEd – Special Education, and MSEd – Reading Specialist programs require employment in an educational setting (or ability to regularly access a classroom environment) in which concepts and strategies from the courses can be applied.

What these programs look for in an applicant

Successful Master of Science in Education (MSEd), MSEd – Educational Leadership, MSEd – Special Education, and MSEd – Reading Specialist applicants are working education professionals with a passion for lifelong learning. These programs are designed for educators who want to make informed decisions about their practice through research. They also exhibit curiosity, a natural perseverance, and an inclination to take on new challenges. The ability to learn and adapt to new tools and technology is an asset in these programs. Students with the capacity to manage multiple competing priorities are most successful in our online learning environment.

Go To Application

Application Process

  • Completed online application
  • Current Resume or Curriculum Vitae
  • Goal Statement/Writing Sample
  • Official transcripts reflecting conferral of a bachelor’s degree or above from a regionally accredited institution.

Note: Transcripts for any coursework appearing as transfer credit on the transcript of the conferred degree can be waived if the coursework is unrelated to the degree being sought. The program admissions committee defines all coursework not eligible for waiver

Procedures and Policies

Upon acceptance, students may apply to transfer up to three 3-credit courses (maximum of nine credits) into the Master of Science in Education (MSEd) programs. However, transfer credit cannot be accepted into the MSEd – Special Education, Master of Science in Education – Educational Leadership, or MSEd – Reading Specialist programs.

In order to be considered for transfer, courses must:

  • Be classified as graduate level.
  • Be worth 3 credits.
  • Have been taken within five years of application.
  • Have been completed with a grade of “B” or better.
  • Be equivalent to one of the required program courses or an elective course that meets the goals of the student’s education.

To request consideration for transfer credit, a student must provide an official transcript, the transfer credit form, and a course syllabus for each course. Your enrollment counselor or student support specialist can assist you with this request. Transfer credit is awarded at the discretion of the program.

All application materials submitted to UNE are valid for 12 months from the date received by the University. To avoid needing to re-request transcripts and letters of recommendation, we recommend that you complete your application and enroll in a timely manner. In the event that you need to re-apply or re-activate your application, materials older than 12 months will need to be re-submitted without exception.

Students not seeking a degree may enroll in individual courses as a non-matriculated student, space permitting and upon approval by the program manager. Non-matriculated students must hold a bachelor’s degree and submit an official transcript reflecting conferral of the degree. Students may not move from non-matriculated to matriculated status within the same semester. Please contact an enrollment counselor to assist in this process.

More information explaining the admissions requirements for international students or applicants with international degrees can be found here on the International Admissions page. If you have specific questions, please contact an enrollment counselor for personal guidance through the application process.


Your Dedicated Enrollment Counselors

Enrollment counselors are here to help you understand the Education admission requirements and assist you throughout the entire application process.

Headshot of Lucas Good

Lucas Good

Enrollment Counselor III

(207) 221-4946



If you have any questions about the graduate programs in Education coursework or the program requirements, please speak to one of our enrollment counselors at the email or phone number below.